CROSBIE CASTLE OR 'ICE HOUSE'

Crosbie Castle was the original Fullarton home. An ancient fortalice built around 1240. Over the centuries it was rebuilt three times, in the same square design as seen at Dundonald Castle. All that remains today is the Castle's dungeon. When in use criminals would be held there before sentence was passed on them. Crosbie Castle was dismantled and the stones used to construct the first Fullarton House. The dungeon, which had an underwater river, was an ideal cold storage cellar. It became known as the 'Ice House'. To the east of the ruin on the area called Lawhill stood the 'Justice Pillar'. This was where the Fullartons carried out their rough justice in the King's name. ooooooo The stone pillar suffered from exposure to the elements until it was moved to a sheltered spot beside the cottages on the Isle O'Pins Road. The 'Dove Cot' an essential part of a country house was for many years a picturesque ruin that stood behind Lochgreen's 12th tee before it was removed when it became dangerous.

CROSBIE KIRK

This small church was built around 1680, constructed on the site of the original chapel. The name came from the Anglo-Saxon word 'Crossbye', signifying the dwelling of the cross. The kirkyard was formed about 1240 and later was held under the Stewarts by Fullarton of Crosbie in the 14th century after being passed on from relatives. Records indicate that this ground was used by a holy order before the Fullartons arrived in the area. Crosbie church had its roof blown off by a fierce gale on the night of 25th January 1759, the same night Burn's cottage at Alloway lost it's gable end, the day their son Robert was born. The kirkyard was the burial ground for Troon until 1862 and family lairs were opened up until after the first world war. The remains of the church manse wall built across the road can be seen today.

THE WRACK ROAD

The 'Wrack Road' was the Fullarton Estate service road used by farmers who took their carts down to the shore to collect seaweed for fertilizer. It was also the main road from Troon for funerals going to Crosbie kirkyard. Horse drawn carts to and from Ayr to Irvine would use this road to avoid the Turnpike Toll at Loans cross, where a toll was levied on all cart wheels and horses and was paid both ways. The road skirted past the Pow Burn which made some areas dangerous and a number of people were buried alive in quick sand when they wandered off the path. This pleasant walk through the Southwoods gives a glimpse of the town's most elegant Edwardian Mansions and mature trees. Because of the unspoiled tranquility a variety of wildlife and woodland plants can be seen here.

 

HOME OOOO BACK OOOO NEXT